Update (Monday, Oct. 29, 3 p.m.): Early voting has been canceled for Tuesday, Oct. 30, due to Hurricane Sandy, Gov. Martin O’Malley said Monday afternoon.
Update (Sunday, Oct. 28): Early voting has been cancelled for Monday, Oct. 29, due to Hurricane Sandy, according to a Montgomery County email alert.
Original story (Wednesday, Oct. 24): While absentee voting already is occurring (8,414 absentee ballots have been received by the Montgomery County Board of Elections), starting Saturday, Oct. 27, at 10 a.m., Montgomery County residents will be able to cast their votes at one of these five early voting centers around the county:
- Bauer Recreation Center, 14625 Bauer Dr., Rockville, MD 20853.
- Executive Office Building, 101 Monroe St., Rockville, MD 20850.
- Germantown Recreation Center, 18905 Kingsview Rd., Germantown, MD 20874.
- Marilyn Praisner Community Center, 14906 Old Columbia Pike, Burtonsville, MD 20866.
- Silver Spring Civic Building, One Veterans Place, Silver Spring, MD 20910.
County residents may vote at any of the centers during the early voting period during the following hours:
- 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 27, and Monday, Oct. 29, through Thursday, Nov. 1.
- Noon to 6 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 28.
“We at the Montgomery County Board of Elections encourage people to vote early,” said Marjorie Roher, Montgomery County Board of Elections’ public information officer. “They’ll have the ease of using the same touch screen and can decide which location is easiest.”
Roher offers the following tips for getting your early voting done as quickly as possible:
- Check in on the “Wait Time Dashboard” on the Board of Elections website to help choose the best location.
- Review the sample ballot first and mark it up in advance so you can do the actual touch-screen voting in under a minute.
- Try to avoid visiting the early voting centers first thing in the morning or just after work, as those tend to be the busiest times.
The county hopes to have the “Wait Time Dashboard” available as a smartphone app for the next election cycle.
Additional information on the early voting centers including driving directions can be found on the Montgomery County Board of Elections website.