On Saturday (Dec. 8) we will be offering more than 300 rarely seen Cuban movie and propaganda posters, plus more than 100 worldwide posters, including a Peter Max Clinton-Gore inauguration poster, plus much more. The sale goes from 10 am to 4 pm at 3319 O Street NW in Georgetown. Buy 5 posters of any kind, get the lowest priced one FREE. We'll also have FREE shipping tubes for larger posters if you are traveling or want to send a unique gift to an out-of-town friend or relative.
Here are 13 highlights of what we will be offering:
1. More than 200 gorgeous handmade Cuban silk-screen movie posters measure a standard 20 x 30 inches and are easy and inexpensive to frame. See images with this listing!!! The Cubans make a silk-screen poster for almost every movie shown on the island, whether it be from Cuba, the U.S., Russia, France, Japan etc. So expect to see posters for foreign films such as Clockwork Orange (poster is hand-signed by the artist), FRENZY, the Three Musketeers, Silence of the Lambs (hand signed), Schindler's List and Rebel Without A Cause, as well as for classic Cuban films such as Lucia, Vampires in Havana and Strawberry and Chocolate. See photos for a sampling of these beautiful posters. Copies of many of these posters are in the permanent collection of the Academy of Motion Picture and Arts and Sciences' library in Los Angeles, as well as in museums worldwide, including the Museum of Modern Art in New York and the Victoria and Albert in London. Prices range from $59 to $350. We will also be offering some small, Havana-made Cuban movie posters priced from $22 to $35.
2. More than 100 Cuban propaganda posters, many of them vintage and scarce, some showing major figures from the Cuban revolution, others expressing Cuba's solidarity with various movements (examples: anti-Apartheid and U.S. Civil Rights) and governments (Palestine, Nicaragua, Egypt, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, El Salvador, Laos, Vietnam, Puerto Rico, Kampuchea, Namibia and--yes--even Gaddafi's Libya). $22 to $300
3. Dozens of protest & social cause posters from the U.S., Asia and Latin America, including a spectacular silk-screened poster designed for the theatrical production Les Misérables, a silk-screened pro-Palestine poster and a selection of handmade silk-screen Zapatista posters from Mexico. $9 to $200
4. Several dozen vintage Mao propaganda posters and more recent Chinese folk art prints. $29 each.
5. Dozens of scarce Cuban historical photos, postcards and DVDs.....$5 and up
6. Several dozen Cuban fine art prints, made in Havana. $19 to $35.
7. Several books about with beautiful images -- and the history -- of Cuban poster art, priced $20 and up.
8. A half dozen vintage and quite stylish movie posters from Poland, designed to advertise U.S., French, Polish and even one North Korean film. $129 to $159 each
9. A dozen rarely seen tourism posters from Palestine and Tunisia at a special sale price, $29 each
10. Currency (bank notes) from China, ex-USSR, North Korea, Iran, Zaire, Vietnam and other nations. Unusual gifts, priced from $5 to $15 each.
11. Three large hand-painted propaganda posters from North Korea. $600-$700 each.
12. One huge original Peter Max poster for the 1993 Clinton-Gore inauguration $249.
13. Military hats from Vietnam, China, Cambodia, ex-USSR $79 each
Don't forget, for every 5 posters you buy, you'll get the lowest priced one FREE!
Thanks for your consideration!