Update: Incense Caused Garrett Park Fire, Officials Say
No one injured in basement blaze.
Update, 1:05 p.m.: Mishandled incense was the cause of Wednesday night's house fire in Garrett Park, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue.
MCFRS spokeswoman Beth Anne Nesselt said the accidental fire started in the basement of the Cambria Avenue home at around 10 p.m. on Wednesday, causing $450,000 in damages. There were no injuries in the blaze, she said.
Nesselt said the fire serves as a reminder to residents to install and maintain smoke detectors in their homes. The occupants of the Cambria Avenue house were able to make it outside to safety after theirs went off, she said.
Original post, 11:48 p.m.: A house in Garrett Park caught fire Wednesday night, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue reported.
Firefighters responded to the blaze on the 4400 block of Cambria Avenue at around 10 p.m. and extinguished the fire in about 10 minutes, Assistant Chief Scott Graham said.
The fire started in the home's basement, and no occupants or firefighters were harmed, Graham said.
Authorities are yet to confirm the cause of the blaze, but we'll update the story as more information becomes available.