All Montgomery County facilities will be closed and no programs will operate on Dec. 25 and Jan. 1.
Recycling and refuse collection for Monday and for Dec. 31 will not be affected. Collection for the remainder of each week will shift forward one day, with Friday collection made on Saturday.
The following county and state facilities will be closed on Christmas Day and New Year's Day:
- Montgomery County government offices. Offices also will be closed Monday.
- State offices and courts.
- Montgomery County Public School administrative offices will be closed Dec. 22 through 25 and Jan. 1.
- County libraries. Branches also will be closed on Monday. Branches will close at 6 p.m. on Dec. 31. Chevy Chase Library is closed for repairs and will open back up on Wednesday, Jan. 2, at an as-yet-to-be-determined time, according to the county library system's website. Read more about how book return deadlines are affected by the closure.
- All recreation facilities will be closed on Monday, on Christmas Day and on New Year’s Day. All county community and neighborhood recreation centers will be closed Monday through Jan. 1. County senior centers will be closed Sunday through Jan. 1.
- County liquor stores. Stores will be open 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday and on Dec. 31.
- Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station. The station will close at 5 p.m. on Monday.
Parking will be free at county public garages, lots and curbside meters on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
Transportation services are running on modified schedules on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day:
- Ride On: Sunday schedule. Service ends early Monday, Christmas Eve, with last buses departing terminals around 10 p.m.
- Metrobus: Sunday schedule.
- Metrorail: Sunday schedule.
TRiPS Commuter Stores near Silver Spring and Friendship Heights Metro stations will be closed Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.